There is a growing acknowledgement that major transformative innovation is needed across the mining lifecycle for the resources sector to meet growing future demand for energy and technology development. Societal expectations for new approaches to sustainability are increasing, yet pathways and platforms to address those expectations need to be formed.
Some of the gaps to be filled include new technologies to deliver extraction with smaller environmental footprints and nature positive outcomes (air, water, biodiversity); bolstering socio-economic deliverables and new ways of engaging host communities, such as through equity ownership and development partnerships, and responding to increasing buyer expectations, managing mining wastes, and circular economy deliverables.
Designing mining for the future will benefit from new and radical ideas, platforms, and pathways. Through this session, we will also share the story of the initial Mining Innovation and Research Battlefield, celebrating the 2022 winners and announcing plans for 2024.
Key themes for this session include:
- Why do we need to focus on creating new platforms and pathways for innovative ideas and partnerships?
- What is needed to drive and accelerate innovative thinking and new approaches for sustainability?
- How do we provide pathways for voices of young people and for the many who otherwise aren’t heard to share their innovative ideas and for them to be nurtured and developed?
- The role of MIRB – value of bridging the gap between innovation, research and academia and industry.
- Longstanding industries like mining can struggle to take ideas quickly from concept through to piloting and into execution. Yet accelerating piloting to execution is needed to create and test new approaches. What are the platforms and pathways that will enable us to unlock innovation and test new ideas
Wednesday 08 February 15:30 - 16:20 Main Stage
Executive Director, Development Partner Institute
Rector and Vice-Chancellor, University of the Free state
VP and General Manager , Metals and Mining , AspenTech
Executive Advisory Board, Africa