Marna Cloete is a registered Chartered Accountant and holds a Master’s Degree in Taxation from the University of Pretoria. In 2006, Marna joined Ivanhoe Mines, and in 2009 she was promoted to Chief Financial Officer and to President in 2020. Marna played an instrumental role as part of the Ivanhoe leadership team achieving a number of strategic milestones, as well as listing the Company on the TSX and concluding multiple strategic partnerships and financings with inter alia a Japanese consortium led by Itochu, Zijin Mining and CITIC Metal. She also serves on the Board of Centamin plc as an independent Non-Executive Director and Chair of the Audit and Risk Committee. Prior to joining Ivanhoe, Marna forged her career at PwC in 2002, in the Metals and Mining division, subsequently moving on to Group Five Construction.
Mining value chains are at the centre of the energy transition. But with ambitious goals towards decarbonisation, key criteria (recovery from COVID-19 and geopolitical crises impacting commodity markets) need to be understood to determine where value can be created and what risks industry players are willing to take.
Tuesday 07 February 12:50 - 13:35 Main Stage
- Regulatory and broader social economic environmental considerations in mining projects
- Managing the locale of the project(s), including associated local community and environmental considerations
- Technology research needed across the mining and energy sector to accelerate projects
- Developing renewable energy ecosystems to support the resilience of electricity supply
- Re-defining ESG for the mining sector: A complex role in the energy transition
Wednesday 08 February 15:30 - 16:15 Roof Terrace