Strategic discussions and pioneering insights
2-3 February 2021 | Online | Free to attend
Day 1, 2 February 2021, 12:00 - 16:00 (GMT)
South Africa, Mining and The Way Forward
Reigniting Mining Capital: ESG Investing in a Covid-Recovery World
- Opening keynote from a senior South Africa government representative
4IR: How Can African Mining Harness Automation in a Pandemic to Help Grow Economies?
- What impact has the global pandemic had on the rise of ESG in investment decisions?
- How are the major operators responding to ESG priorities in the boardroom?
- Exploring the ICMM’s tailings standards and what this means for communities and operators
- Uncovering latest ESG and sustainability initiatives being adopted – low-emissions and hydrogen strategies, enhanced community engagement, and mining’s perception for both investors and citizens
- How should labour and industry work together to ensure Africa’s mining sector does not fall behind while safeguarding employees?
- Establishing a way forward post-Covid: what are the next steps for labour and industry?
- What opportunities has the global pandemic presented for new technology testing and adoption?
- Updates on The African Union (AU) Agenda 2063 – a blueprint to support the continent’s accelerated growth, tech transformation, and to drive the benefits of a digitized economy.
- The AU agenda is aligned to South Africa’s own National Development Plan (NDP) 2030 vision of transforming the country into an inclusive and innovative digital society.
The Opportunity for Battery Metals in the Global Reboot
Day 2, 3 February 2021, 12:00 - 16:00 (GMT)
Panel Discussion – Government and Private Sector Collaboration: Resilience, Reboot and Responsible Sourcing of African Mineral
- Opening keynote from a senior African government representative
Gold Spotlight: The Rise and Rise of Gold in the Pandemic
- ESG impact on high-risk mining communities: OECD Framework and other practical tools for companies to better understand and mitigate supply chain risks
- Defining the role of Governments and Financial Institutions: strategic client due diligence, financial sanctions and other measures that need to be undertaken to enhance responsible supply chains
- What is the scope for international cooperation on artisanal mining and conflict minerals?
- Supply Chain Transparency – What role can technology play for producers, end-users and national regulators to achieve legitimate transparency?
Green Metals, PGMs and Global Decarbonisation
- Global economic impact of Covid-19 and gold demand
- Effect on geopolitical relationships and lower global growth
- Exploring the changes in gold production and trading prompted by the global pandemic
- An exploration of the role of PGMs, battery metals and Rare Earths in the energy transition
- Uncovering sourcing challenges and fostering secure supply chains with manufacturers
- Technological opportunities in hydrogen, and confronting the perception of mining in society
*Session titles and times may be subject to change